Friday, April 01, 2005

Professor Johnson's Comments on "Eroica"

My English professor, Dr. Lee Johnson, student of the great Robert Fagles, writes these comments:

"Eroica" is a tremendous effort - an interesting theme in the Golden Child and a virtuosity of composition in your English and Italian sonnet-forms, an ottava rima stanza, and finally a terza rima sonnet worthy of Shelley's Ode to the West Wind! You can see in part IV how I suggest an alternation to bring the rhythms back into a good flow, although most of your lines work well. Poetic ability means, first of all and mainly, the love of words and forms - and you show these qualities preeminently.

Thank you,

Lee Johnson

I am of course most happy to win the approval of my professor. My carefully designed virtuosic lines and forms are my tribute to his teaching. I am, however, disappointed that he did not comment on part III - but he is a busy man, so I should be happy with what I get.

PS - He made the following suggestion which I thought is interesting (line 40):
Original: "Prometheus, though committed a crime," (x \ x x x x \ x x \)
Suggestion: "Prometheus, though accused by Jove of crime," (x \ x x x \ x \ x\) - Prometheus is pronounced "Pro-meth-us"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Johnson,

I have read some of your works and stories intermittently. It's fulfilling to reflect our divergence from Yuen Long, and that particularly enlightens me to read further. Well, I do not agree with some of your implicit attitudes/overt actions (ie. your brother in the woman studies issue). That being vaguely said, with my very intention for this comment, give it your best shot for your course examinations.

Old school pal,
Kenneth

4:36 p.m.  
Blogger Minch said...

WAZZA yo! Haven't seen you in awhile... u must be buried in ur books or something. Anihow, happy that you're happy with the comment u got :)

10:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home